As the Managing Director at Google Québec, Nicolas Darveau-Garneau is well versed in the world of strategic internet marketing and how companies and properties can use this to get access to customers. In speaking to the use of specific strategies to suit the needs of users, Nicolas discusses how digital sponsorships can be more effective than traditional sponsorships and ultimately helps to identify what opportunities exist online for organizations.
Beginning with an audience exercise, delegates passed their mobile devices to their neighbour.. and yes, we all felt naked! We then raised our hands high into the air as Nicolas asked us about our WWW usage, which in sum reveled that we are married to our smart phones, our tablets and our laptops. But yet, only a few hands remained raised when asked if we spent >25% of our marketing budgets online.
This disparity in usage vs. spend brought Nicolas into the core of his presentation…
Digital is Changing our Lives.
Anybody with wifi access can broadcast to hundreds of thousands of people. Whether it’s a Google hangout or Apple FaceTime, it’s an everyday phenomenon. There are 5 billion videos watched on YouTube everyday, with Canada being #1 in videos watched per person, per month. In essence, people are spending their time online more and more, and traditional advertising alone no longer works.
FACT: When you combine YouTube with TV advertising, the drive brand recall is 2x higher than TV alone.
In summary, Nicolas leaves with Five Rules for Success and some great examples:
1. Challenge Customs. Google “Dodge Journey: Search Engine for the Real World” for an incredible example of an online challenge that’s seamlessly integrated with a real-world journey.
2. Involve customers with your brand. Google Toyota “Swagger Wagon” and see the Sienna Family drop their new hot single… enough said.
3. Do things you can’t do on TV. YouTube “Tippexperience 2” for an interactive, immersive example.
4. Tap into the zeitgeist. Find existing influencers and seek sponsorships.
5. Personalize everything. The ability to be unique online is extraordinary. YouTube “IKEA Happy to Bed“ to create the bedroom fit for your whole family.
Follow Google on Twitter @Google for insights and company news.